If you'd like to ask me for a letter of recommendation
Hi, if you're going to be applying to graduate programs and would like a letter
from me, please read below. Include the items mentioned with your request.
Good luck in your graduate program search!
- I can only recommend you based on what I know about you.
If you haven't taken any of my courses or participated in a research project
with me, then I can't write a letter for you. Otherwise, please read on.
- Please provide a list of your courses and/or projects, with titles
and dates, and grades as appropriate. Highlight the ones that you did with
- Include a statement of purpose similar to what you plan to submit
with your applications. It is important that I be able to speak to how your
training and experience support your aims for graduate school.
- Include a resume or CV that emphasizes the points that you believe
are most relevant to your grad school search. The resume should support the
specifics in your statement of purpose.
- Provide a list of the programs that you will be applying to, with
the names of the university, program, and degree sought, together with the
application deadline. Due to the large number of requests that I receive,
I will normally be able to provide letters for at most eight (8) programs.
This should be plenty. Focus on identifying the programs that best fit your
goals. Doing so will make you a stronger candidate.
- Assuming that I am able to accept your request for a letter, please
submit the individual letter requests in batches of at 3 to 4 programs.
Also, please send me frequent email reminders as the deadlines approach.